Re: Providing official virtualisation images of Debian

On Jul 26, 2011, at 19:38, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 09:28:29AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
>>>
>>> What virtualisation solutions should be supported?
>>> - Virtual Box seems like a natural candidate since it's free and
>>>  included since Squeeze.
>>> - Vmware has a significant installed base and is relevant, although
>>>  proprietary
>>> - Microsoft Virtual PC is likely also needed
>>> - Qemu
>>> - Citrix XenServer?
>>
>> - images for cloud infrastructures (AMI -- Amazon Machine Image)
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> thanks to the work of others, the way is open to create AMIs with a patched
> version of debian-installer (see #592550).
>
> To enable secure SSH login, booting after kernel update, and other tasks, some
> init, grub, and perhaps other scripts are needed, and if they were wrapped in a
> Debian package, then the production AMIs could be fully automated from whithin
> the Debian operating system.

You don't need separate Debian packages, just a couple patches and scripts
integrated into the right existing packages.

My current work is here:
  http://opensource.exmeritus.com/debian-ami/

Please report any success or problems!

I don't have time right now to update all of these to the latest-n-greatest,
but if somebody wants to submit them I'd be very glad to have them upstream
in "network-console" and "debian-installer".

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett