Re: A few observations about systemd

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 22:44:55 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:

[...]

> Please don't get me wrong: I like the ideas behind systemd, but I need
> some more input to decide whether it's actually as flexible as an init
> script.

IMHO the flexibility of init scripts was often abused to do things
which should not be done in init scripts, leading to bugs because they
do too much things and try to be clever, becoming too complex in the
process.

This makes it hard to migrate to any alternative init system that
doesn't use init scripts. I'm using runit for some years now and had to
migrate a lot of init scripts to runit, often scratching my head when I
read those scripts.

Regards,
Tino