Re: A few observations about systemd

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:46:54AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
Le vendredi 22 juillet 2011 à 09:58 +0200, Stephan Seitz a écrit :
>So, since you don’t need it, other people don’t need it either?
No, since I don’t need it, I don’t want to be forced to use it.
So you prefer to force your crap onto others, of course.

No, others can choose their own beloved package. As I said, the software can be part of Debian as long as someone is maintaining the package.

So let systemd be part of Debian, but not as default init system. Maybe it can be used in about five years when all third party software is supporting it.

Server or desktop, the hardware and the kernel are entirely event-based
now. This is important for the network, and it is even more important

Why?

for the boot system. It’s not a question of changing configuration files
or whatnot, it’s a question of having it working, and working reliably.

Strang, for me it *is* working reliably.

features. An init system is not something for the user to see, it should
just do the job properly.

This will only work if you don’t support third party software. As long as a user can (or must) install other daemon software he has to work with the init system. Now you can guess if the user will find more documentation about integrating the new service with sysvinit or systemd.

And sysvinit is working fine. I never had a system not booting because of sysvinit.
That’s because init scripts are full of hacks to work around its
deficiencies, thanks to tireless tuning work from the maintainers. And
even with these hacks, you can always meet a condition (hardware
combination, complex partitioning scheme, network configuration) for
which it will not work, or - even worse - work randomly.

Maybe but it is working for me and for all people I know. How many people are having problems that it is worth the trouble of changing?

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |