Re: Minimal init

>> It seems this problem (double fork) is the basement of using cgroup
>> under systemd ;)
>
> I think messing around with cgroups is a ridiculous way to solve this
> problem.

To be fair, systemd also uses cgroups to reliably kill rogue child
processes when stopping a service.  This is not unlike what BSD-derived
shells use pgroups for, I believe.

> The right answer is simply to change the daemons to give
> them an option which causes them not to fork.  Then you can just have
> a single supervision daemon which reaps (and restarts, if desired).

> I haven't done a survey of the available init replacements but this is
> not a new concept

Well, it's already present in SV init :

  1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

> and I hope that most of them implement it as a possibility.

Daemontools, runit, minit, upstart, systemd all do.  I don't know about initng.

-- Juliusz