Re: DEP5 Copyright Question

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 19:54:14 -0400
Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> wrote:

> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:
> > On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:54:53 -0400
> > Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I understand that a DEP5 copyright file lists licenses and copyrights
> >> for files in the debian source package directory, rather than for files
> >> that are installed by the generated .deb.
> >>
> >> Does that mean that files that are *generated* during execution of
> >> debian/rules (e.g. rendered documentation) do not need to be included in
> >> the copyright file?
> >
> > Auto-generated files can only have the copyright of whatever creative
> > content is provided by a human writer (not the copyright of the tools
> > used in generation). The documentation presumably comes from some kind
> > of source files contained in the source package and presents that same
> > data in a different format.
>
> Yes, but it also contains images, style sheets and java script libraries
> from the rendering tool (Sphinx).

So those retain whatever copyright relates to those from the Sphinx
package and have nothing to do with the copyright of your package.

> > The copyright of the original data is unaffected (assuming it complies
> > with DFSG), the generated content is basically the distribution of a
> > modified form of the source itself and hence under the same licence as
> > the source itself.
> >
> > Declaring the copyright of the source covers any reformatting of the
> > source which occurs during the building/packaging/distribution
> > process.
>
> Even in this case?

I don't see that this case is any different to any of my own packages
which use tools like doxygen to generate documentation - including
adding images, stylesheets and (optionally) javascript - from the
comments in the source code. The generated documentation retains my
copyright (alongside other upstream authors) because the content comes
directly from the copyrighted source code. Simple.

--

Neil Williams