Re: DEP5 Copyright Question

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 02:54:53PM -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> I understand that a DEP5 copyright file lists licenses and copyrights
> for files in the debian source package directory, rather than for files
> that are installed by the generated .deb.

> Does that mean that files that are *generated* during execution of
> debian/rules (e.g. rendered documentation) do not need to be included in
> the copyright file?

> If they have to be included: isn't that slightly inconsistent? If one
> wants to have the copyright for all *installed* files (rather than all
> shipped files), shouldn't the files then also be listed relative to the
> system root (rather than the source package directory)?

DEP5 does not require per-file recording of copyright and license
information, it merely provides a facility for doing so where this is
interesting or relevant.

I don't personally think it's interesting or relevant to record in
debian/copyright the license of generated files, and there is certainly
nothing in Policy that requires you to do this.  Why do you ask?