Re: Help with shared libs and .la and cryptic lintian messages

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> - N:    Refer to http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/LAFileRemoval,
>   N:    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg01003.html, and
>   N:    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg01146.html for details.

> First link does not exist
> Second link does not exist

Yes, they do, at least for me.  Maybe you cut and pasted the comma along
with the rest of the link?  Representing links in freeform English text is
always annoying.

> Any suggestion what should be done here?

Package the shared library separately (whether you want to or not, it's
how shared libraries work in Debian; the alternative is to put it in a
non-public directory and use LD_RUN_PATH to find it, but I don't think
it's worth the hassle) and don't install the *.la file at all.

The Lintian tag should now really just say "if this is a new package, just
don't install the *.la file in the first place."