Re: Help with shared libs and .la and cryptic lintian messages

Hi Russ,

thanks for the answer

On So, 10 Jul 2011, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > First link does not exist
> > Second link does not exist
>
> Yes, they do, at least for me.  Maybe you cut and pasted the comma along
> with the rest of the link?  Representing links in freeform English text is

hmmm, you are right, I cannot *now* load it but just before it didn't.
I see that the come was selected by the used terminal, grrrr.

> Package the shared library separately (whether you want to or not, it's
> how shared libraries work in Debian; the alternative is to put it in a

Umpf, grmpf, not happy. In former times there was no problem with that...
Is there a policy item stating the shared libs *have* to be
pakacages separately?

> it's worth the hassle) and don't install the *.la file at all.

Ok, so remove it afterward make install

> The Lintian tag should now really just say "if this is a new package, just
> don't install the *.la file in the first place."

Well, it is not a new package, since long in Debian ...

Best wishes

Norbert
TINGRITH (n.)
The feeling of silver paper against your fillings.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff