Re: Multiarch in Debian unstable

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 01:44:36AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:54:53AM +0100, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Multiarch handling of header files (/usr/include) will require
> > more per-package attention, because architecture-dependent and
> > architecture-independent header files are currently mixed together in a
> > single directory and we probably don't want to move these all to
> > /usr/include/$arch.

> If a library does install different headers on different architectures,
> wouldn't it be better to put everything for the library in /usr/include/$arch?
> This way, packaging is much simpler, there is less place for error, headers
> for different architectures are co-installable, and there is less confusion.

That is one option, for sure; but even determining that a library's headers
*are* architecture-dependent is a fairly manual process, so this is going to
be much less of an automated process than library handling itself has been.

Also, libc6-dev is affected by this, and I'm not sure we really want to move
~400 libc headers to /usr/include/<arch> when only about 20 of them are
arch-dependent.

> On the downside, files which are the same would be duplicated, but since a
> vast majority of libraries use #ifdefs instead of modifying the files, the
> waste would be infinitessimally low.

I don't know what this "vast majority of libraries" is.  Most of the
libraries I work on have at least one header that's autogenerated from
configure at build time.