Re: Multiarch in Debian unstable

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:54:53AM +0100, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Multiarch handling of header files (/usr/include) will require
> more per-package attention, because architecture-dependent and
> architecture-independent header files are currently mixed together in a
> single directory and we probably don't want to move these all to
> /usr/include/$arch.

If a library does install different headers on different architectures,
wouldn't it be better to put everything for the library in /usr/include/$arch?
This way, packaging is much simpler, there is less place for error, headers
for different architectures are co-installable, and there is less confusion.

On the downside, files which are the same would be duplicated, but since a
vast majority of libraries use #ifdefs instead of modifying the files, the
waste would be infinitessimally low.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be