Re: Multiarch in Debian unstable

On 2011-06-27 15:59:27 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> If by "fat binaries" you mean executables,

No, I meant libraries (the term "fat binary" is used by the GMP library,
but is here restricted to x86 subarchs).

> If by "fat binaries" you mean shared libraries, they could either go in
> /usr/lib, or go in /usr/lib/TUPLE for every appropriate tuple (using hard
> links or something).

See my other message concerning a possible problem with the search
directory order.

> But there's no real advantage in doing that, you could
> just as easily install several "thin" libraries.

Perhaps multiarch partly makes fat libraries more or less obsolete
(unless some data could be shared, such as debugging symbols).