Re: Multi-Arch .udeb ?

Hi Keith,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 01:02:13PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:54:53 +0100, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> Non-text part: multipart/signed

> > It is with excitement and trepidation that I write to you today about the
> > status of multiarch support in Debian.

> Thanks for the update. I'm afraid I haven't been paying close attention,
> but a cursory search didn't uncover any description of what I'm supposed
> to do with a .udeb that includes a shared library in our glorious
> Multi-Arch world of the future.

> I'm assuming that any files destined for /usr/lib should land in the
> architecture-specific sub-directory, right?

The convention I've adopted so far for udeb-building packages has been to
install libraries in /usr/lib instead of to /usr/lib/$arch.  While
/usr/lib/$arch is perfectly findable by ld.so in the installer environment,
and while any plugins still need to be installed to the multiarch path if
you're doing a single build of the source for both .deb and .udeb, I think
it just adds unneeded complexity to use /usr/lib/$arch for shared libraries
in udebs.

Since this is the third time this question has come up, I guess that makes
it a FAQ; added now at
<http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation#udeb_handling>. :)

BTW, if the package you're asking after happens to be fontconfig, I have a
patch here that I'll be sending on shortly. :-)