Re: ifupdown 0.7~alpha4 in experimental

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:42:05AM +0100, Edward Allcutt wrote:
So how do you do the auto configuration? Do you have radvd running or a DHCPv6 server? If I understand correctly, radvd won’t give you DNS servers.
radvd can be configured to provide dns servers, eg.

Thanks to you and the others for your information.

The client also needs to accept these. Linux (the kernel) keeps track
of dns servers advertised in this way but does not update userspace resolvers
directly. I recommend installing rdnssd which gets these details from the
kernel via a netlink socket and updates /etc/resolv.conf

Well, it seems I would need another method for Windows clients.

Please let me explain my setup and my intentions:
One system is a XEN system with two NICs. DomU is the firewall (one NIC for PPPoE and a Sixxs IPv6 tunnel via aiccu, one NIC for the internal network). It provides a Squid proxy, DNS and DHCPv4 server for guests. Dom0 is my workstation. It only has an IP address on the network bridge to the internal network.
My notebook is connected via switch to the internal network.

In my IPv4 setup all my systems have fixed private IP addresses. The firewall is NATting the external traffic. Since my provider changes my PPPoE IP address every 24 hours, my external address is not constant.

Since IPv6 doesn’t provide NAT, all my systems have now a fixed public IPv6 address.

My goal is to shuffle the addresses in my big IPv6 network, so that external systems will always see another IPv6 address. Besides that, guest systems (Windows and Linux) should get IPv4 and IPv6 addresses with all necessary information (Gateway and DNS). IPv4 is covered.

So how will I do this? If I install radvd at my firewall (DomU), the fixed IP addresses are already set. So the temporary addresses have to be activated later.

Any hints are welcome.

Maybe this is the wrong list and the discussion should be moved to debian-user? If yes feel free. I’m reading both lists.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |