Re: throw away debs and source only uploads

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 19:38:03 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> Are you saying they cannot be bootstrapped with older versions (which
> are already in the archive)??!

By definition if they need to be manually bootstrapped it's because
their build dependencies are not available. The usual cases for that
are a set of NEW packages, existing packages for new architectures,
or for existing architectures where those packages have never built
before.

Take mig on kfreebsd-i386 as an example. To build it we'd first need
to unpack gnumach, manually run “debian/rules build/config.status” and
“make -C build install-data” to just install the headers. Then unpack
mig, remove gnumach-dev from the Build-Depends, build and install the
new mig.deb. Now we can build a clean gnumach, and install the
resulting gnumach-dev. And finally just to make sure, we rebuild a
clean mig (and possibly a cleaner gnumach with the clean mig). We've
just bootstrapped mig ang gnumach on kfreebsd-i386.

regards,
guillem