Re: Anonymous read-only access and Vcs-* [Re: Alioth status update, take 3]

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 10:24 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On 11-06-06 at 09:18am, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 08:17:03AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 20:56:25 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >
> > Hi,

> > > I concur. In addition there's way less committers (with their
> > > respective clones, chekouts, etc) than current anonymous cloned
> > > trees.
> >
> > In general I'd agree but I think it's too late now to switch back. I
> > for one already started to change Vcs-* fields, fix checkouts etc.
> > where needed. Other people did so aswell. My guess is that we're in
> > the middle of this nice epic chaos and switching back now would make
> > it even worse. On the other hand there are all these packages in
> > stable with broken Vcs fields now. Still not nice but assuming that
> > most contributions will be based on what's in unstable that might be
> > bearable.
>
> I think that switching back even when some have already adapted is still
> the best approach (if technically sensible to revert at all!):
>
> I don't mean to punish early adopters, but places with links difficult
> to change should in my opinion take priority

In particular all the Vcs-* links baked into stable are hard to change
at this point...

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: In The Woods... - ...In The Woods

Some people say a front-engine car handles best.  Some people say a
rear-engine car handles best.  I say a rented car handles best.
		-- P. J. O'Rourke