Re: Anonymous read-only access and Vcs-* [Re: Alioth status update, take 3]

Hi,

Am Montag, den 06.06.2011, 09:18 +0200 schrieb Sven Hoexter:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 08:17:03AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 20:56:25 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > The majority of published references to VCS repositories are URLs for
> > > anonymous access.  Also regular Alioth users will be more aware of the
> > > Alioth reconfiguration than others, and will know that they need to
> > > change the read-write/push URLs.  Therefore I think it is more important
> > > that the URLs for anonymous access continue to work.
> >
> > I concur. In addition there's way less committers (with their respective
> > clones, chekouts, etc) than current anonymous cloned trees.
>
> In general I'd agree but I think it's too late now to switch back. I for one
> already started to change Vcs-* fields, fix checkouts etc. where needed.
> Other people did so aswell. My guess is that we're in the middle of this nice
> epic chaos and switching back now would make it even worse.
> On the other hand there are all these packages in stable with broken Vcs
> fields now. Still not nice but assuming that most contributions will be
> based on what's in unstable that might be bearable.

if there is consensus to switch back for anonymous access, then it
should be doable to also support the anonvcs-links, so that your
modified checkout keeps working.

I for one am going to wait for this to settle completely before even
thinking about changing the VCS fields in all my and my team’s
packages...

Greetings,
Joachim

--