Re: distinguish between "core" and "main"?

On Sat, June 4, 2011 07:45, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Having 30000+ packages within a single "main" repository is
> pretty bulky. Would it be possible to distinguish between
> the "core" Debian and "main" somehow?
>
> I don't want to keep anybody out. I just would like to use
> the core packages of Debian release xyz (all the essential
> packages, for example) together with more up-to-date
> packages in testing (kernel & drivers, development tools,
> eye candy, games, etc).

I think package priorities may help you. Debian Policy describes what
types of packages to expect in each of these, and you may decide that for
your purposes you take required, required+important or
required+important+standard to be "core Debian":
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-priorities

Thijs