Re: Behaviour of dpkg-source with "3.0 (quilt)" and VCS and automatic patches

Hi Scott (2011.05.31_12:58:05_+0200)
> This fits my mental model of being a distribution developer. It
> cleanly separates upstream code from packaging except when I choose to
> entangle them by applying the patches.
>
> I know others view it differently. I'm not trying to say they are
> wrong, just that source format v3 is not a good fit with my mental
> model. This is why I generally avoid it in packages I maintain.

That's my model too, and I find v3 works well, combined with merge-mode
VCS (i.e. containing only /debian). Of course, this only applies to
one's own packages, not QA work.

If your patches are simple enough to not be too conflicted by new upstream
releases, there's really no need to do complex VCS dancing. I appreciate
that this may not be the case for more complex packages.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/