Re: .la file status and hint to clear the dependency_libs field

On Mon, 30 May 2011 at 12:23:35 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> They are at least read by libtool. For instance, when building MPFR
> (as a normal user):
[...]
> Either the information provided by /usr/lib/libgmp.la is important
> and this file should be kept, or libtool should not attempt to read
> the file... unless this doesn't matter for the specific case of
> /usr/lib under Debian.

It doesn't matter for the specific case of /usr/lib under Debian. Debian's
libtool has appropriate behaviour (read .la files if found, but fall back
to just using the real library if not).

libtool .la files are useful if:

* you're linking against a library installed in a directory that isn't
  searched by the dynamic linker by default (e.g. installing a local
  library in --prefix=$HOME, and a program that links that library -
  but this isn't relevant for packaged libraries in /lib or /usr/lib,
  which are searched by default anyway)

* your build-time dynamic linker doesn't write direct dependencies into
  shared libraries, or your runtime dynamic linker doesn't respect them
  (but our linkers work correctly, so this doesn't apply)

* you link statically against a library whose upstream doesn't provide a
  pkg-config .pc file (but if this is the case, please ask them to - it's
  useful functionality)

* you use libltdl to load plugins (this is one legitimate reason for a Debian
  package to have a .la file accompanying a plugin - but it isn't a reason
  to have a .la file accompanying a public library)

None of these apply to an "ordinary" public shared library in Debian.