Re: packaging-dev meta package

On Fri, 27 May 2011 10:30:35 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 4:05 AM, Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Do you like the idea or not?
>
> Seems reasonable.

Not to me. dpkg-dev is usually all that's needed in my experience, when
setting up a new build environment. lintian and pbuilder are also
common.

Thereagain, cross-building toolchains for armel are also common on my
build systems, so it's not going to be sane to make a single dependency
chain for such systems.

There would need to be NO reverse dependencies of this -dev meta
package, especially build-dependencies!

> > Should something added to or removed from the dependency list?
>
> devscripts

(only if all the Recommends are turned off - devscripts inside a chroot
with Recommends on is a complete nightmare)

> the various vcs-buildpackage scripts

No, *selected* buildpackage wrappers maybe - there's no point bringing
in every possible tool.

> sbuild
> schroot

? Neither is actually necessary for building or even general
development. pbuilder maybe.

> signing-party (for caff)

Not related to building or development.

> lintian
> valgrind
> gdb
> cppcheck
> pyflakes
> perlcritic
> <more static analysis tools>

If it's going that far, then you'll need an editor or IDE as well and
then it's getting beyond the pale.

> Please make most of the dependencies recommends so that people can
> easily pick and choose what they want installed.

Everything except dpkg-dev and lintian should be Recommends and most of
the ones above should be Suggests IMHO.

--

Neil Williams