Re: Alioth status update, take 3

]] Peter Samuelson

| [Tollef Fog Heen]
| > Yeah, this is a bit bad.  It seems neither git nor svn supports SRV
| > records so I've set up proxying of svn and git for now.  (That «for
| > now» means I'll likely turn it off once we have a stable release that
| > supports SRV records.)
|
| SRV records?  Does alioth have any SRV records that might be useful in
| this context?  I queried various combinations of 'git', 'svn',
| 'subversion', 'svnserve', 'alioth', 'anonscm', and 'http' in queries
| based on *._tcp.*.debian.org and didn't find any.

It would have, if git and svn supported SRV lookups, but you're right,
it does not have it set up today.  :-)

[...]

| For example, perhaps svn:// should correspond to _svn._tcp.{hostname}
| before it falls back to {hostname}:3690?

Sounds sensible to me.

| I'd be reluctant to push for SRV lookups for http:// and https://, as
| that would be a break from what other HTTP and WebDAV clients do.

Agreed, and http/https can give out redirects, so I'm less fussed about
those.

Julien Cristau wrote a proof of concept patch for git, see
http://people.debian.org/~jcristau/git-srv-hack.diff for the patch; it
doesn't look too bad.

Cheers,
--