Re: Packaging cups with cdbs

Hi Laszlo,

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 07:08:22PM +0300, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> I have tried to use the debian/rules that you can see below. My
> concern is that I would like to make a test package (for maemo, but
> actually should also work for debian) in case of using upstart for
> init functionalities.
> The problem is that if I try to use a debian/cups.upstart file for
> that purpose, it seems to be hard coded. It installs the upstart job
> into the /etc/init/ and I cannot customize that path, for instance to
> /etc/init/apps/ as I would like to have it. I tried to set the
> "--onlyscripts" option in order to hope that it does not generate any
> init script/job inside the package and I could just make a workaround
> by using postinst.

It installs it to /etc/init because this is the upstream path for upstart
jobs.  There is no dh_installinit implementation that knows about this
maemo-specific /etc/init/apps/ path.

You could patch dh_installinit to do this in a maemo context, or you could
pass DEB_DH_INSTALLINIT_ARGS=--name=nonexistent to force dh_installinit to
only look for debian/cups.nonexistent.upstart.

> Other option is to change the whole packaging to "dh" usage. However
> if I could just bypass the systemv init script and/or hard coded
> upstart job installation, it would be easier for me because I am not a
> packager. =)

With dh the solution is certainly more easily discoverable and less
convoluted; you can override dh_installinit with a simple rule:

override_dh_installinit:
	$stuff_to_manually_install_to_etc_init_apps