Re: Conditional Recommends

On 2011-05-22 16:07, Carsten Hey wrote:
> > > Putting my 'developer of unpopular package manager' on: no, no, pretty
> > > please, no reverse-Recommends.  Firstly, one doesn't want to scan all
> > > package database to find all Recommends for the particular package,
>
> 'Enhances:', 'Provides', 'Conflicts' and 'Breaks' also require extensive
> scanning in the package database.

Conflicts and Breaks do not. So, yes, partly true. I personally don't
want one more reverse-field to handle;

> Anyway, this subthread is all about reverse recommendations, even with
> negations you would need to scan the whole repository for implications
> in 'Recommends:' fields, or they would neither solve the tdep problem
> nor the original problem (see the end of this mail).

I did not spot further statements about this in the end of your mail.
So, no, this subthread is not about reverse recommendations, it's about
conditional recommendations. I don't need to rescan the whole repository
to satisfy '!A | B-plugin-A' given I scanned it once for Provides.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Developer