Re: Conditional Recommends

On 2011-05-21 21:41, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Simpler than this, and simpler than constructions involving negations
> (which would be very troublesome for the resolution algorithms), would
> be:
>
>   Package: A-plugin-B
>   Depends: A, B
>   Recommended-When: A, B

Putting my 'developer of unpopular package manager' on: no, no, pretty
please, no reverse-Recommends.  Firstly, one doesn't want to scan all
package database to find all Recommends for the particular package, and
secondly, this is easily abusable by third-package maintainers and even
packages from completely different, non-Debian repositories:

Package: some-package
Depends: gnome
Recommended-When: gnome

And, still wearing the hat, negations are fairly easy to implement. If
we ever go for implementing conditional dependencies, negations are
great and powerful idea, I'd vote for them.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Developer