Re: Debian x86 32-bits built for i586 !?

Quoth Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>, on 2011-05-15 14:36:03 +0100:
> There are a few new instructions on the Pentium that can be used in ring
> 3: cmpxchg8 and rdtsc.  Linux has separate options for '586' and '586
> with TSC', both of which result in -m586, so gcc does not appear to
> assume the existence of rdtsc.  I would not expect gcc to generate
> cmpxchg8 except through an intrinsic, but I could be wrong.

FWIW, I'm using Debian on a Soekris box with an AMD Geode.  ISTR being
told in the past that this is a 486-class machine, but /proc/cpuinfo
reports (with some lines elided):

| processor       : 0
| vendor_id       : Geode by NSC
| cpu family      : 5
| model           : 4
| model name      : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by National Semi
| stepping        : 0
| cpu MHz         : 266.571
| cpuid level     : 2
| wp              : yes
| flags           : fpu tsc msr cx8 cmov mmx
| clflush size    : 32

So it does have TSC, CMPXCHG8, and CMOV support.  I'm not sure where
that places it exactly on the ix86 processor chart; supposedly those
are the main architectural differences that can actually break things
compiled for i586?

   ---> Drake Wilson