Re: A concrete proposal for rolling implementation

On 04/05/11 at 22:19 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 04 mai 2011 à 22:12 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> > While I like the idea in general, I think that it should also be
> > possible to upload packages directly to rolling (through
> > rolling-proposed-updates). It will be useful in cases where neither the
> > package in testing, not the package in unstable, can be used to fix a
> > problem in rolling.
>
> Adding this possibility is opening Pandora’s box. Once you allow this,
> people start using packages that are neither in unstable nor in testing,
> and they don’t help us working on our packages at all. This also adds an
> extra burden on maintainers who want to use this feature.
>
> Could you please give a concrete example of where this would be needed?
> I think all existing cases should be covered by uploading directly to
> either t-p-u or unstable.

Use case:
During freeze, there's a library transition in unstable, and a new
upstream version in unstable. You want to get the new upstream version
into rolling (not testing), but you can't because it would pull the
whole transition.
So you need a way to upload the new upstream version linked against the
libraries in rolling.

- Lucas