Re: Debian rolling: tentative summary

"Milan P. Stanic" <mps@arvanta.net> writes:

> I don't think that the Debian can beat Ubuntu in popularity on
> desktop/laptop field (not yet) and IMHO it should not even try that.

> IMHO Debian is for the people who understand computers and are willing
> to invest some time to learn and "user friendly" distributions are for
> other more or less laymen people.

Eh, I wouldn't say that.  I do think we should be careful to protect those
areas where we're strong and not sacrifice them, but we're actually pretty
good at doing multiple things at the same time.  If we can be great for
servers *and* for embedded systems *and* for desktops and laptops, so much
the better.  And being user-friendly to people who aren't sophisticated
computer users is a useful goal to keep in mind, even if we never quite
reach the level of distributions focusing solely on that, as long as it's
an option and not a mode required across the whole distribution.