Hi Stefano,

On Mon, 2 May 2011 06:41:07 AM Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 10:08:46PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > Those are real users from real life. I'm not saying "we"-re
> > representative of a majority of Debian Users, but unlike all the
> > handwaived users we've read about in this thread, those are real.
>
> First of all I think you should concede that the exercise you're asking
> us to do cannot be done as easily as you did yours. You've been able to
> mention real users of an existing distro, you are asking others to
> provide evidence of users of a thing that does not exist yet; quite
> challenging... So you do have an inherent advantage, but let me try
> nonetheless.
>
> During last year:
>
> - I've talked at several trade shows and conferences with developers of
>   rolling distros based on Debian (in particular: Aptosid/Sidux and
>   Linux Mint Debian Edition). They usually claim they have built those
>   distros because Debian wasn't offering such feature (yes, they should
>   have probably tried do that in Debian, NIH syndrome exists, yada yada,
>   not to mention the fact they might have said that to me because they
>   wanted to be kind towards Debian). It must have been half a dozen
>   people.

On the contrary, sidux/aptosid/$whatever exists, in my opinion, because Debian
sid is a very useful and usable software collection with a small army of real
communicative people who are motivated to care for it and keep it working
well.

Personally, I never involved myself in those groups to try and solve any kind
of deficiency in Debian, but rather to get with people to learn about Debian,
help it function better and to solve or advise about occaisional problems
associated with using constantly changing software.

Thanks, Kel.