On 01/05/11 at 22:17 +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 09:35:07PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > [ Note that my position is based on the assumption that we have a
> > share of DDs interested in rolling similar to the share of DDs
> > interested in stable releases. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to
> > know where we stand regarding this. ]
>
> I'm assuming that releasing is what Debian is about (and fwiw if you
> read Raphael's proposal, it's for him too), meaning that rolling is a
> second class citizen here.

Well, I disagree. I believe that Debian is about building an operating
system. Whether we deliver it through stable releases, or through a
rolling release, or both, is an implementation detail.

> And frankly, I think that anything that makes rolling as important as
> releasing stables is against Debian (and its users) interest. Why? well
> just answer that question: would you run a rolling-based distro on
> servers?

(JFTR, my answer would be no)

> Answer: if you're a sysadmin it will be "NO" because the
> security model of rolling is "update to the latest software", you know,
> the firefox-kind-of-security. Remember that we hate it, because with
> security fix come:
>   - upgrade path hells
>   - new bugs
>   - removed features
>   - …
>

> There are other distros out-there that do rolling release only (gentoo,
> arch), note how none of them also do stable releases (I think gentoo
> used to tag their repository every now and then, but that doesn't make
> them releases, please, at least not in the Debian sense).

I don't follow your reasoning.
- I don't think that we should restrict Debian to servers managed by
  serious sysadmins.
- Gentoo & Arch don't do stable releases, OK. Why would it mean that we
  couldn't do it?

It's clear that we are not going to stop doing stable releases anytime
soon. However, there seem to be some interest in the "rolling release"
concept. The question is: can we (Debian) provide a rolling release with
an acceptable increase in workload, and without compromizing the quality
of our stable releases ? If yes, why shouldn't we do it?

- Lucas