On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 11:22:51AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Du, 01 mai 11, 09:57:50, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > I think we'd like people running unstable stick with testing when we
> > freeze, that makes sense, yes.
>
> This doesn't make sense to me, why would I want to "downgrade" to
> testing during the freeze? Besides, during the freeze testing and
> unstable are not very different, at least that's what happened during
> the last 2 cycles, when most updates were done via unstable.
>
> As far as I can tell, the typical unstable user will rather use
> experimental during the freeze, because that's where the new stuff is.

That's because it's not downgrading, I meant it rather as a
"freeze-with-testing" kind of thing, IOW ageing with testing instead of
living the bleeding edge.

And no, not everybody lives in unstable for the bleeding edge, many
people live with unstable because stable is too damn old for their
purpose. E.g. as a developper, I need fresh enough tools: recent
toolchain for its better diagnostics, better dev tools with more
debugging features, though my software targets stuff way older (RH5
usually, which is globally older than *lenny*).

So when the freeze arrives I'm mostly following testing, then stable for
a few months to avoid the shitstorm that inevitably follows in the
following 1-3 months after a release.

I may not be a typical Debian User (but what is a typical Debian User
anyways ?!), but I think there are more ways to use Debian than the
clichés you're trying to enforce as "the general rule".

And FWIW, no I disagree, unstable users that want bleeding edge just
suffer because experimental has no way to select overlays of wanted
packages (Pinning is just a bad joke since you can't pin source packages
nor regexes), and getting all experimental is just too damn broken. I
think this class of users just cringe for 6 months until unstable
becomes bleeding edge again. Also, and that's personal, I couldn't care
about such users less, I don't think it adds value to Debian to make
them happy. Putting random bleeding edge crap in a Bag isn't what I
believe to be sane, and has never been a Debian goal afaict.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit