Re: Multiarch, policy and cross-compiler libraries for non-Debian architectures

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 07:14:57PM +0200, Stephen Kitt wrote:
> > So I would be opposed to making such a change in policy for the time being;
> > I think cross-compilers should stick with the traditional cross-compiler
> > directories and stay away from the multiarch directories until we have more
> > practical experience with multiarch under our belts and can make some
> > educated decisions about how we want this to all fit together.

> Would it make any sense then to add an exception for traditional
> cross-compiler directories, or should cross-compiling library packages simply
> continue using lintian overrides?

I don't think such an exception should be codified into Debian policy
either; cross compilers have been doing this since before there was an FHS
and no one has bothered to bless it before now, so I don't think we should
do so when we might finally be near the end of needing these separate
non-FHS directories.

> One last question: without considering multiarch, what is the situation
> regarding headers? Is the proposal in http://bugs.debian.org/542865 still the
> intended approach, or is there another solution?

There is a discussion at
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2011/03/msg00151.html>,
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2011/04/msg00009.html> about how to
handle headers.  No bug report or patch filed yet.