Re: Multiarch, policy and cross-compiler libraries for non-Debian architectures

Hi Stephen,

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:04:59PM +0200, Stephen Kitt wrote:

> Unfortunately this appears to go against policy 9.1.1, which forbids packages
> installing files into triplet-based directories under /usr/lib other
> than /usr/lib/$(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH). Since the files I'm
> thinking of aren't usable on any Debian architecture, they're provided as
> "Architecture: all" packages and don't have a corresponding
> DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH triplet.

> Would it be acceptable to introduce an exception to policy allowing this?
> Something along the lines of

>         An exception is granted for `Architecture: all' packages containing
>         libraries targeting platforms for which there is no Debian
>         architecture. Such packages may use their traditional triplet as
>         recognised by binutils and gcc.

The current wording is quite deliberate in only allowing the use of these
directories by packages of the given architecture, because one of the ideas
to be explored in the future is introducing partial architectures for things
like w64-mingw32 (or sparc64, or armv7+neon, or amd64+sse4) that aren't
self-hosting but that it's interesting to build a subset of packages for
(mostly libraries).

So I would be opposed to making such a change in policy for the time being;
I think cross-compilers should stick with the traditional cross-compiler
directories and stay away from the multiarch directories until we have more
practical experience with multiarch under our belts and can make some
educated decisions about how we want this to all fit together.