Re: [RFC] Changing APT to pre-depend on ${shlibs:Depends}

On Mi, 2011-04-27 at 19:34 +0300, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2011-04-27 14:53, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > I hereby request comments on changing APT to pre-depend on
> > ${shlibs:Depends}.
>
> >         When we upload a new version of APT, depending on a newer
> >         library version (due to new symbols, whatever), and APT gets
> >         unpacked before the library, the system's ability to upgrade is
> >         broken, unless you fix it manually via calls to dpkg.
>
> First, this statement is not true because other package managers exist.
No other non-APT-using package manager with Priority: important.

> Second, why the APT's ability to upgrade is broken under these
> conditions? Unless I'm missing something, the upgrade cannot be
> started in the middle of another upgrade [1].

> [1] If we count the situation for resuming broken upgrade, there is a
> some chance you'll have to call dpkg manually or some hacks
> to proceed anyway.

We do count situations like
http://lists.debian.org/deity/2011/04/msg00154.html

<676992.81078.qm@web26502.mail.ukl.yahoo.com>

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.