howto modify dependencies?

Hi all,

as I have trouble with the package ppp since version 2.4.5-*, and no one cared
although I filed a bugreport, I set the package to hold (version 2.4.4-rel-10.1
is working fine!)

But as newer packages require higher versions of ppp, I cannot install them.
besides, all packages which are using ppp in higher versions, do also not work
at me.

However, as the old version is working fine, I am looking for a way, to install
newer packages but hold the old ppp-version. I could still not manage it,
because of dependencies (which is logically). Neither with aptitude nor with
apt-get I found an option. Any hints?

Talking of aptitude just a simple question: "apt-get --purge remove 2.6.32-*"
is removing anything with "2.6.32-" in its name. But aptitude does not offer
this option, doesn't it? Is aptitude using some other syntax???

Happy eastern!

Hans