Re: some suggestions towards a Debian .desktop policy [Was: Warm up discussion about desktop files]

On Friday, April 22, 2011 12:05:20 PM Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 22 avril 2011 à 17:51 +0200, Bernhard R. Link a écrit :
> > The difference is that a user has to know more when enabling stuff, as
> > they get shown many things were enabling does not make any sense.
> > And there is no way to say "show me everything in the menu", which is
> > especially bad for environments were assuming you know what they need
> > is even more likely wrong.
>
> You’re missing something. A menu that “shows everything” is unusable.
> The Debian menu is a very good example of that kind of problem.
>
> Try a lenny system (or a squeeze system with a disabled
> gnome-menus-blacklist) and install both KDE and GNOME full desktops. Now
> try to use the GNOME panel for an hour.

It's also wrong to consider that even the far too much that Debian menu shows
is 'everything'.  Many packages aimed towards major desktop environments that
use .desktop files don't bother with Debian menu and won't.  So even if you
want a menu that shows everything Debian menu isn't and won't be the way to
get it.

Scott K