Re: some suggestions towards a Debian .desktop policy [Was: Warm up discussion about desktop files]

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 at 09:24:14 +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> I think we should actually try to investigate how different 'menus' is
> using the desktop entries.

GNOME Shell: displays only Name in the applications menu; displays only Name
when you hover over "favourite" apps in the dock; type-ahead search appears
to look in the Name and the Comment but not the GenericName.

For those interested in investigating different desktops' menus, Ekiga in
unstable makes a good test-case (although probably not a great example of
doing menu entries right), because all its strings are different:

.desktop:
    Name=Ekiga Softphone
    GenericName=IP Telephony, VoIP and Video Conferencing
    Comment=Talk to people over the Internet

.menu:
   title="Ekiga" \
   longtitle="Ekiga: Free Your Speech" \
   description="The Ekiga Voice and Video Over IP Suite" \

Regards,