Re: some suggestions towards a Debian .desktop policy [Was: Warm up discussion about desktop files]

On 2011-04-20, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> e.g. ddd is useless as a Name. Data Display Debugger is OK as a Name,
> particularly as the comment is "Graphical debugger frontend".=20

what is the name of that app? is it 'ddd' or 'Data Display Debugger'?

Graphical debugger frontend should be in GenericName, not in Comment.

GenericName is the ... Joe Average friendly name for the application.

Name=LibreOffice Writer
GenericName=Word Processor

or something like that. Name should of course not be the executable
name, but the actual name of the application.

> I'd prefer to simply delete the Debian Menu Policy and let lintian
> and the BTS manage the desktop files.
>
> One less Policy document would be a net win for Debian.

Sounds like a good idea.

I think we should actually try to investigate how different 'menus' is
using the desktop entries.

KDE Plasma Desktop, default kickoff menu:  prefers to show GenericName,
falls back to Name. When hovered, a gray version of Name is showed,
if this is different from what's showed already

KDE Plasma Desktop, classic menu: Shows Name (GenericName), or just
Name, if they are the same

KDE Plasma Netbook: Shows Name.

I haven't (as a user) found any where where the Comment is shown in the
above menus.

/Sune