Re: (Vcs-Upstream-)Git support for uscan?

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> How many packages are there that are not using a watch file because
> upstream does not provide usable tarballs (either no tarballs or they
> are behind some changing dynamic web site layout)?

quite a few I guess ;-) but for some of them, especially in the land of
GIT, they endup on github and for it is possible to come up with a uscan
rule, e.g.

$> uscan --verbose --report
-- Scanning for watchfiles in .
-- Found watchfile in ./debian
-- In debian/watch, processing watchfile line:
   opts="filenamemangle=s/.*\/(.*)/pyoptical-$1\.tar\.gz/"   http://github.com/esc/pyoptical/downloads .*tarball/([\d\.a-z]+)
-- Found the following matching hrefs:
     /esc/pyoptical/tarball/0.3
     /esc/pyoptical/tarball/0.3
     /esc/pyoptical/tarball/0.3
     /esc/pyoptical/tarball/0.2
     /esc/pyoptical/tarball/0.2
     /esc/pyoptical/tarball/0.2
     /esc/pyoptical/tarball/0.1
     /esc/pyoptical/tarball/0.1
     /esc/pyoptical/tarball/0.1
Newest version on remote site is 0.3, local version is 0.3

> Would it be a completely silly idea to extend uscan to support git in
> addition to HTTP and FTP that it currently supports?

I think it would be really nice! also if you consider GIT over http (some
projects might not run git servers).  Are you going to match tags?

related nuisance: if tarballs are to generated on the client (uscan) side
from a chosen treeish, they would change from run to run, so uscan then would
be usable only by the main maintainer himself for initial upload of the
revision, and for our DHS to watch for new releases (tags?)