Re: Default size limits for /run (/var/run) and /run/lock (/var/lock)

Hi there!

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:38:03 +0200, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Josh Triplett suggested that we could use a single tmpfs on /run and
> have the rest as symlinks into /run, with potentially a separate
> tmpfs for user-writable filesystems to prevent a user DoS.  This idea
> does have merit, and we could make it the default.  We currently do
> this for /var/lock (/run/lock), which can be mounted as a separate
> tmpfs on /run/lock if RAMLOCK is set in /etc/defaults/rcS.

Do you mean that the meaning of RAMLOCK has completely changed?
Currently, `man rcS` gives:

	RAMLOCK
		Make /var/lock/ available as a ram file system (tmpfs).
		Will also  disable cleaning of /var/lock/  during boot.
		Set to 'yes'  to enable, to 'no' to  disable.  The size
		of  the tmpfs  can be  controlled using  TMPFS_SIZE and
		LOCK_SIZE  in  /etc/default/tmpfs.   Because  of  this,
		packages  can not  expect directories  in /var/lock  to
		exist after  boot.  Packages  expecting this  are buggy
		and need to be fixed.

I consider completely changing it a serious bug, may I suggest
deprecating it completely and adding a new variable instead?  I guess
the same should be applied to RAMRUN, i.e. simply deprecate it.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca