Re: Proposed pre-depends addition: all multiarched libs -> multiarch-support

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 11:12:29AM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 at 11:12:54 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 12:36:05AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > Specifically, the plan is that any package in wheezy shipping a runtime
> > > library in a multiarch directory should declare a Pre-Depends on the
> > > metapackage 'multiarch-support'.

> > And the dependency would be added by either dpkg-dev, debhelper, or
> > dpkg-shlibdeps rather than being added to every single library by hand,
> > right?

> Because debhelper doesn't add any Pre-Depends yet, there's nowhere to put
> the new dependency that would automatically be picked up. I believe the
> current plan is that:

> * debhelper adds multiarch-support to a new
>   ${misc:Pre-Depends} substvar (which must be added to the library by hand)

> * this is only relevant to packages that divert files into multiarch
>   directories, which would only happen with package-specific changes anyway
>   (bumping the debhelper compat level to 9, if nothing else)

> * lintian should warn (error?) if a binary package has libraries in a multiarch
>   directory and doesn't pre-depend on multiarch-support

Yes, it should.  I think this should actually be an immediate archive reject
for any package installing to the multiarch lib path without the correct
pre-depends, since (on i386, anyway) the missing pre-dep will break partial
upgrades in a Bad Way.