Re: Moving bash from essential/required to important?

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 07:09:08PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Tue, Apr  5, 2011 at 09:41:24 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 03:14:12PM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > > Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> (04/04/2011):

> > > What is the most obvious reason to degrade bash to Priority: important?

> > > (I can understand shell maintainers would like to get bash out of
> > > their way, but how many (other) people really want to get rid of it?)

> > Anybody doing development for embedded systems. :)

> Which of those people don't also want to get rid of dash and coreutils
> and use busybox instead?

They probably all want to do this.  But while removing dash and coreutils
from Essential is probably not practical at present, removing just bash
would still go a long way to help since that's at least /one/ of these
packages for which we would have a contract saying Debian supports removing
it.  If the package gets pulled into your environment as a dependency, you
know what dependency to fix.  If the package is pulled in because it's
Essential and you want to remove it, you have to constantly inspect the
system to make sure nothing is using it.