On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Paul Wise (pabs@debian.org):
>
>> If anyone wants to help there, more info here:
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/OldPkgRemovals#defoma
>>
>> Main blockers are Xorg, ghostscript and the other remaining backends
>> (libwmf, vflib3).
>
> Would you agree for us to be advocates of this release goal, Paul?

Sounds good.

> You could be the one looking at these "main blockers" and I could be
> the nasty annoying little barking dog hunting down font packages that
> are still using defoma and propose patches (as weel as adoption of the
> font package by the pkg-fonts team..:))

It would be great if you could take on the font packages.

ghostscript is far beyond my abilities to handle, perhaps Kenshi Muto
(who wrote the wiki page about that, CCed) could help with that.
ghostscript already supports fontconfig but apparently it isn't good
enough for CJK stuff at least.

There is a patch for Xorg xfonts-utils to recursively search
/usr/share/fonts, it needs proper testing, pushing upstream and
changing the xorg-server-core font path to include catalog support.
Xorg support for fontconfig is quite far in the future though, Keith
Packard did mention it at one time though.

vflib3 looks abandoned, lets ping the maintainer: Makoto OHURA, are
you still interested in vflib3? It has some reverse deps so this isn't
as simple as removing it.

I haven't looked at libwmf yet but I imagine it could do something
similar to how the gnustep packages now work.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise