Hi there!

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:09:17 +0200, Roger Leigh wrote:
> • Read-only root
>
>   Depends on /run.  Having /run will allow remaining writable files
>   under /etc to be moved (/etc/mtab, LVM2 cache, CUPS for starters).

For LVM2 there are at least two bugs:

  <http://bugs.debian.org/372207>
  <http://bugs.debian.org/562234>

This issue was also discussed for etckeeper's ignore list:

  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=462355#85>

For CUPS, feel free to try to convince upstream:

  <http://bugs.debian.org/549673>

>   Identifying and fixing/removing packages writing to /etc during
>   their normal operation would be a worthy release goal.

I added the packages above to the Debian wiki:

  <https://wiki.debian.org/ReadonlyRoot>

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca