Re: throw away debs and source only uploads

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 04:18:34PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
[...]
> The above is just an idea, little more than a brain-dump, for
> finding a compromise among the real needs of people with bandwidth
> problem and the social issues revolving around developer
> sloppiness.
[...]

I expect part of the concern on both sides simply resolves around
conservation, doing "the right thing" as a project and not wasting
Internet/computing resources (I know bandwidth is much more of a
commodity these days, but lots of people are still instilled with
the careful principles of yesteryear).

One possible compromise which I think was already mentioned in one
of the earlier discussions (but now I can't find a reference) was to
initially attempt builds of source-only uploads on one arch and
delay building on the rest until it was proven not to FTBFS. This
strikes a balance between wasting buildd resources and not assuming
devs are irresponsibly sloppy (disclaimer: this was not my
impression of course, and IANADD anyway). It probably increases
latency for package entry into the archive, but any uploader
concerned about that can simply do a normal upload including their
locally-built binary packages to vouch for buildablity of the
source.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);