Re: MBF alert: packages with very long source / .deb filenames

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> There are uses I've heard about, including (apparently quite common)
>> using CDs and DVDs to seed a mirror on a Windows server.
>
> If I had to chose between that working, and not needing to worry about
> filename lengths, I'd choose the latter.
>
>> >Is it possible to provide Joliet filenames for only a subset of files?
>>
>> It is, yes. But not something I'd like to do if we can avoid it.
>
> One approach then would be to omit joliet filenames for the few long
> packages. This would not even impact your use case above much, since
> any mirror seeded from files from CDs needs a further sync step.

And how would users then get those files? If you have a kernel without
udf filesystem support then apt/aptitude/... would suddenly fail to find
some files. Same if udf isn't the default filesystem for cds.

The files could be renamed and the new name be used in Packages/Sources
files on the CD. But then the dsc files are broken. And they are signed
so they can't be edited without loosing the signature.

MfG
        Goswin