Re: MBF alert: packages with very long source / .deb filenames

Steve McIntyre wrote:
> There are uses I've heard about, including (apparently quite common)
> using CDs and DVDs to seed a mirror on a Windows server.

If I had to chose between that working, and not needing to worry about
filename lengths, I'd choose the latter.

> >Is it possible to provide Joliet filenames for only a subset of files?
>
> It is, yes. But not something I'd like to do if we can avoid it.

One approach then would be to omit joliet filenames for the few long
packages. This would not even impact your use case above much, since
any mirror seeded from files from CDs needs a further sync step.

--
see shy jo