Re: Meeting Minutes, FTPMaster meeting March 2011

On 2011-03-27, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
>> - The long standing project of enabling autosigning for the buildds also
>>   got finished. That means that packages successfully built can now be
>>   uploaded automatically, without waiting for the buildd admin to wake
>>   up/come back from holiday/whatever.
> Fantastic news.  What's the expected turnaround time between building
> and having it available in incoming/the main archive?

Builds will be signed automatically post-build and moved to the buildd-local
upload queue, which is processed every 15 minutes.  process-unchecked
runs every 15 minutes, too, as far as I know, so they should be available
within 30 minutes for other package builds if the package isn't insanely
large.  Maybe an hour at worst, if we hit the queue during dinstall.

> Is there any prospect for phasing out Architecture: all packages in
> binary-foo Packages in favour of binary-all Packages use by apt-get/
> aptitude?

That doesn't make sense.  The current set of arch:all packages in binary-foo is
there for a reason.  (In fact certain older arch:all binaries are held
availabl/held backe in it if the new package isn't built yet for an
architecture.  Which is also the reason why we need binary-all after all, it's
not guaranteed that we see all arch:all packages in the union of the Packages
files of all architectures.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern