Re: Cross compiler ITP (armel)

Mark Hymers <mhy@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, 22, Mar, 2011 at 01:57:42PM +0000, Hector Oron spoke thus..
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> 2011/3/22 Mark Hymers <mhy@debian.org>:
>>
>> > The current design is the Binary packages can contain an additional
>> > control field: Built-Using.
>>
>>  First of all, thanks very much for taking care of it, that probably
>> will get us going.
>>
>>   I just would like to point out that current design solves half of
>> the problem (being GPL compliant), but it does not solve code
>> duplication in the archive, which it can also be useful for large
>> datasets. IMHO, we do not want source and binary packages containing
>> the same bits, bytes and nibbles, problem which might be solved by the
>> multiarch specification, treating 'source' as yet another architecture
>> (in next couple years?) :-)
>
> I'd have thought the right answer to that was to allow some form of
> Build-Depends-Source mechanism where the source is unpacked at build
> time in a known place or something.  Of course, the problem with this is
> that we traditionally haven't allowed network access to be required
> during a build so the exact semantics would have to be worked out.
> Maybe something like, if a package declares
> Build-Depends-Source: gcc-4.5
> the source code must be available under debian/external-source/gcc-4.5
> and then leave it up to the builder to sort that out.  That's a rough
> (and probably bad) idea off the top of my head - I'm sure the buildd
> team at least will have other thoughts on the matter.
>
> Mark

Using the multiarch syntax this could be folded into Build-Depends:

Build-Depends: gcc-4.5:src

That would then cause the gcc-4.5 source to be unpacked to
/usr/src/gcc-4.5/ (I would guess) as part of the installation of
Build-Depends done by sbuild or pbuilder or whatever tool you use.
There would be no special network access required during the build other
than what is already in use for installing Build-Depends in general
prior to a build.

What this really comes down to is patching dpkg / apt / aptitude so they
can "install" sources and sbuild / wanna-build / quinn-diff to cope with
the syntax.

MfG
        Goswin