Re: Needed input from Australian users and developers:; choosing timezones for Australia in D-I

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:28:18PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
>Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> writes:
>>[...]
>>That's indeed insane..:-). Hobart (Tasmania), Melbourne (Victoria),
>>Sydney (NSW) and Canberra (ACT) have the *exact* same time rules
>>(including DST).
>
>But they didn't always; and with the tendency of governments to flex
>their arbitrary timezone powers, they may be different again in future.

I fully agree with Ben.

>People's knowledge of timezone rules tends (IME) to stick at the point
>where they learned about a particular change which they had to learn; it
>rarely gets updated. Hobart people will probably not know that
>Melbourne's timezone is the same now, for example.

In 2006 we had to rush to update the zoneinfo data as the Victorian
government decided to have an extra week of Daylight Savings for the
Commonwealth Games. In Victoria we were on a different timezone to that
of the folks in New South Wales.

http://wiki.debian.org/TimeZoneChanges
http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/debian-au/2006-March/000289.html