Re: Mirror problems?

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 13:32, Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com> wrote:
> when apt-updating from ftp.se.debian.org i get the following Hash Sum
> mismatch failures:
> (it does not happen when using ftp.us.debian.org in sources.list)

APT since version 0.8.11 uses the clearsigned InRelease files instead of
Release and its detached Release.gpg if possible.
The file was announced by the ftpmasters on Nov 15, 2009 -
I really thought it would be save to use it more than a year later…

"Much to learn, you still have." says my master now and laughs.

Unfortunately many mirrors doesn't use the newest version of ftpsync [0]
and therefore their two stage update of the mirror is flawed:
The InRelease file is updated already in the first stage while all the
other indexes are updated in the second stage.

As the first stage can have an enormous size [1] there can be quiet a bit
of time until the mirror sync is finished in which the hashsums doesn't
match (new [In]Release file hashsum record vs. old Packages file).

So all in all the problem is temporary. You just have to wait for the mirror
update to be finished or simple switch to a not-yet/finished updating mirror
if you are really impatient - as long as the mirror hasn't switch to the
usage of the newest ftpsync tool of course…

btw: The documentation on [0] doesn't include the InRelease file yet.
Any pointers where to "complain" about that? d-mirror, d-www, d-…?

Best regards

The hashsum mismatcher previously (not) known as
David Kalnischkies

[0] http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror#how
[1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/size-quarter.png